Recruiting Online? 35 Great Questions for an IT Manager Interview
June 4, 2022
Are you recruiting online for an IT Manager? Have you found a candidate but don’t know what questions to ask them? Becoming an IT Manager is a great milestone to reach in a career. This is why you need to be even more careful while searching for one. To be able to do that, you need to know exactly what IT Managers do.
What Do IT Managers Do?
IT Managers oversee, maintain, and improve IT system operations. They are also responsible for implementing new computer systems within the budget and time limitations to meet company requirements.
Since this is a senior level position, you will need candidates with solid technical backgrounds while recruiting online. With the questions we provide, you can find candidates with relevant experience and in-depth knowledge of your industry's best practices.
For this position, you need candidates that can oversee a team of engineers. Communication and project management skills are keys to success combined with technical expertise. During your interview process, include questions regarding candidates’ past experience working in a team and their ability to handle IT projects end-to-end.
General IT Manager Interview Questions To Ask While Recruiting Online
You can start your interview process by asking general questions to learn who they are and why they are interested in the position. Here are 10 general questions you can ask during an IT manager interview while recruiting online:
- Why are you interested in IT management?
- Why do you want to work for our company?
- Describe your management style.
- How do you define success?
- What is your biggest management weakness?
- Which aspect of IT work do you enjoy the most?
- What are your greatest strengths as a manager?
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
- What led you to pursue a career in IT?
- How important is communication to your management role?
Questions About Experience And Background
Next, you can ask questions about their experience and background while recruiting online. These questions are usually more specific to learning about how the candidate will handle situations in the workplace. Here are 10 questions they might ask:
- What is your technical background?
- What have you learned in your current role?
- What value would you bring to our company?
- Do you have any previous management experience?
- What technical projects have you overseen?
- How do you handle conflict within your team?
- How do you motivate people?
- Give an example of a difficult decision you had to make.
- Tell me about a time when you led by example.
- How do you handle mistakes in the workplace?
In-depth Questions To Ask In An IT Manager Interview
During the interview, you can ask questions that relate directly to the job and would need specific examples and demonstrations of their knowledge. For instance, you may ask the following questions while recruiting online:
- What are the most important skills in IT and why?
- How would you track technical performance in your department?
- What do you believe is the most important role of an IT manager?
- How would you manage your time during a fast-changing IT project?
- What are the five stages of the ITIL framework, and what is its purpose?
- What is the most challenging IT project you have worked on, and how did you accomplish it?
- Based on what we have told you so far, what changes would you make to improve our IT department?
- How do you prevent security breaches and ensure that company data is secure?
- How do you ensure that a project is delivered on time and to our specifications?
- What is the IT project life cycle?
While recruiting online, also focus on asking behavioural questions related to the IT manager field. These questions will help you gauge how the candidate will react when faced with emotional situations.
- Describe a situation where you had to explain technical details to a non-technical audience. How did you adjust your presentation?
- Have you faced conflicts between your team members? What did you do?
- What’s the most challenging project you’ve managed so far? What was your role and how did you manage to deliver on time?
- Describe a time when a member of your team was underperforming. How did you motivate them?
- How do you keep up-to-date with technology trends?
The position of an IT Manager is a serious one and requires preparation while recruiting online. These questions will ensure that you cover every aspect of the job and get the perfect candidate for the role! But you can make this job even easier by using our recruiting software, EVA-REC.
EVA-REC is an on-demand hiring platform that automates and improves the hiring process with AI technology. From small businesses to industry giants – EVA-REC offers fully customizable world-class features that help create a rich and immersive hiring experience for recruiters and candidates. With EVA-REC, companies can drive merit-based, objective, and fair hiring practices that minimize bias, without dehumanizing the hiring process. Want to see EVA-REC in action?
Request a free demo and see how our hiring platform can help you achieve hiring success!
Recruit better, faster, and fairer
Join hundreds of recruiting teams who increased their hiring success and recruited winning teams with Elevatus.Request a demo
A wordsmith, storyteller, and content strategist – Tima is an MBA graduate with 6+ years of experience in the world of HR. With over 2,000 blogs under her belt, Tima's expertise and insights have helped businesses across the globe take their recruitment to the next level and stay ahead of the curve.
Don't miss a thing!
Stay one step ahead. Subscribe and get the latest updates, news, and insights from Elevatus straight to your inbox.